Wk 16: Planning a Strategy

After spending some time promoting a business across a few social media sites, I still think Instagram is the most fun to use.  The product I am promoting is pretty easy to generate visual content with.  As expected, this goes perfectly well with Instagram's format.  Since I'm still learning how to use photo editing software, it did take some time to figure out how to create the image I wanted.  I suspect after some more time I will be far more efficient and creating content would be even easier. 

Additionally, despite not really spending time on Facebook for my personal account, I did enjoy using it as a business tool.  It goes hand in hand with Instagram's content but you can mix it up with other types of posts as well. I definitely appreciate Facebook's page analytics as it provides so much useful information for somebody who is trying to find out what content works best for their target audience. 

The assignment done earlier in the semester regarding blogs opened my eyes too.  Since Google has been using blogs to boost SEO, I think it is important to keep a blog updated in order to make sure your business receives enough visibility. Though I think a blog is a litter more difficult for a company like mine to create content for, the payoff would be worth the extra time spent on trying to be creative with potential content. 

For a business like mine, I think it would be important to spend a couple hours a week creating and scheduling posts to make on Instagram and Facebook.  Since most of the other companies in the industry post pretty much daily, I would have to work toward that goal. As of now, that would be difficult to achieve since I do not have an actual product to promote. I can probably start with two posts a week and work my way upward. 

The next month, I would like to experiment alternating product shots and lifestyle shots with my clothing.  One week, I will do two posts on each social media account featuring just a product photo and short description. The next week, I will do two posts of lifestyle shots.  I want to compare how these two different types of posts generate engagement and what is more effective.  Although posting a simple product shot is low effort, I'm interested to see if it generates the same feedback as a lifestyle shot which takes a little more time.   I will also try posting on different days of the week to answer a couple questions: What day of the week are people viewing my content? What time works best to gain the most engagement?

Never is a bad time to try a different approach for social media marketing.  All it takes is manipulating a couple variables to get the answers I'm looking for and I can spend the next month doing so. 

Comments

  1. Austin,

    I concur! I enjoy using Instagram myself for business and personal use. I enjoyed reading your thoughtful post. Your proposed schedule for Facebook and Instagram is going in a great direction. Your idea of experimenting between product and lifestyle shots, then analyzing the most effective is a good A/B experiment. I wish you the best of luck and continued success.

    Cheers,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Figuring out works best for your business will lead to a successful instagram. Putting work into your posts will make the content more enjoyable for your customers. I agree with you that it is never bad to try a different approach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Austin, I agree that for your business Instagram may be the best social media platform. Although I do see many people advertising this type of business on Facebook as well. I'd imagine the analytics you find on Facebook would be very similar to the activity happening in Instagram. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your blog and I agree with opening your eyes on blogs! Very good points on your plan of attack for social media!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that scheduling posts is a useful feature for posting on your blog. One thing I have noticed is that if I schedule too many posts for the future, i.e. have too much time off blogging, I will get used to it and feel less motivated to return back to the business.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment