Wk 13: Online Advertising

For this assignment, I took a look at some of the brands I have covered in previous weeks.  I used Facebook's "info and ads" tab to see which brands were sponsoring their posts.  I noticed most of these companies typically run only two to three ads at a time.  However, there were some outliers, notably with Brixton and RVCA.  Brixton had pages of active ads listed while RVCA had no active ads in the US. It seems like most of these brands use ads sparingly and rely more heavily on their organic social media posts.  

When I see ads on my social media feed, I respond the most to ads that follow the criteria given in the lecture article "Facebook Ad Examples." Honestly most of the time, ads are a nuisance to me.  I find myself spending more time looking at ads from companies I'm already familiar with.  But if the ad itself is of a pretty background and bold text with a call to action, I will probably look twice.  

I would say ads on social media are much more effective than traditional advertising.  They are more catered to the user and are generally more simple which I like.  I prefer ads that are short and straightforward which is what social media forces advertisers to comply with.  Furthermore, social media allows the target audience to directly engage with the ad by clicking on it which leads to more exposure of your brand.

Comments