Wk 4: Effective Design

Most of my web browsing is done from my phone. This is probably due to the simple fact that my phone is always on my person. However, in some cases I find the experience to be better on the iPhone versus the desktop website. Most of my browsing is probably done through Reddit and Instagram. I use Reddit to keep up to date with news, politics, and pop culture. Reddit is especially appealing to me because you can cater what type of content you want to see on your homepage. For example, because I am subscribed to a subreddit about film photography, I get to see current news next to some film photos. It keeps my reddit homepage attention grabbing. However, Reddit's desktop website has gone through some recent redesigns which don't work well with my computer. The only time I have been able to use it successfully is if I disable my ad blocker. On the iPhone, I use an app to view Reddit called Apollo. It improves the experience greatly with a smooth interface and additional features such as dark mode and improved filtering of content. I thought this was especially interesting because the developers of Apollo are not affiliated with Reddit, yet they do such a good job providing a client for them. Instagram is another website/application I use frequently. I find that photo and video content is a nice way to keep up to date with my friends. Sharing content is super easy, a post can be created within thirty seconds where it can be viewed by thousands of people with features like hashtags and photo tagging. The interface itself does not take away from the content being posted there, allowing photos and videos to be the center of attention. Additionally, the "share" button and direct messaging features always draw the user back in. reddit.com instagram.com

Comments