Wk 3: Communication with Businesses

I am actually currently having trouble communicating with a business.  I am looking for an obscure part for my vehicle that only a select few companies carry.  After some research, I settled on a local company who was selling the product I needed.  After more searching, I noticed that the company itself doesn't have a website and is absent on the larger social media platforms.  The only way to reach the seller and purchase the product I need is through a forum specializing in my car.

This has proven to be inconvenient in every step of the process.  After creating an account on the forums, I was forced to use the private messaging tool on the site to contact the seller.  The design of this system probably hasn't changed since the early 2000's which shows upon first look. Currently, I have been going back and forth with the business for a couple of days just trying to make sure it is the correct part and arranging a time when I can pick it up myself.

The buying process could have been made so much easier if they decided to list it on a reputable site that provided basic information on the part. An even simpler solution would be social media, if they had an account on Facebook or Instagram they would be so much more accessible to new business.  Days of playing tag on the forum's messenger would have taken minutes with the correct tools.

Update 5/20:

After meeting with the business owner, he did seem to be running his operation from his house.  I asked if he did all of his business from there but he did mention that he has a real office space a couple cities away.  He just prefers the convenience and flexibility working from home offers, so he does that when he is able to.  I didn't get to discuss with him the difficulty I had reaching with him but he did eventually become more communicative and even left me with his phone number for future business. 

I personally have never had to deal with positive or negative comments on a business social media account.  Though I am sure it's difficult to remember not to take the negative comments personally, I'm sure there's always something to be learned from them.  I would do my best to respond and rectify any issues that a customer may have.  I know some people out there simply can't be pleased but showing the intent to help out customers and being responsive might go a long way with people.  I would also respond to the positive comments.  Not only might it encourage others to leave a positive review, it shows that my business cares about its customers; whether they are angry or happy. 

Comments

  1. Hi, I really love how you choose one issue that you been having and I could see how that would be really stressful while being such an inconvenient to you or anyone. I do agree on what you are talking about having a social media platform so you could talk to the business. I do hope you figured it all out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really interesting to hear about your experience with brand communication while you're in the midst of the ordeal. I'm surprised that the business doesn't have a social media presence at all in today's day and age. Do they have a yelp account or any kind of internet presence? Perhaps sharing your experience on a platform like yelp may get you a proper response.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's ridiculous, what kind of business doesn't have a website and forces you to use a dated forum? Is this business even real? I'm curious like the rest of us to see how it all plays out and I hope you don't get scammed or anything. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Austin,
    I agree that would be very frustrating trying to communicate with that company. That's interesting that they do not have a website especially these days every business has a website. Good luck! hope you are able to get the part for your car.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment